About Me

My photo
A lady with great sense of humour..love to laugh enjoy friends company, choose to live in current moment, forget about yesterday..like what a friend said to me tomorrow is mystery.. Happiness is a voyage...not a destination. "You must love in such a way that the person you love feels free"

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Healthy children

I posted recently my work involvement in NGO and this is an awareness campaign on Thalassemia for the general public. The statistic shows that every 20 Malaysian, there is one carrier. And the seriousness of being ignorance about this would result in having a Thalassemia kid if you marry another carrier. And this would mean a Thalassemia major. Please read more information about Thalassemia.

I had been in the meeting with parents who have been volunteering themselves in the association. They have been through the hardship of nursing and taking care of their own children. This bubbly lady in her 40s has a son who is a major and they discovered his problem when he was 6 months old. Now he is in his 20's and monthly his medical bill is about RM8000 worth of treatment and medication.

She shared with me that some unfortunate parents with a few Thalassemia major kids will have a hefty bill to think about, and it is their responsibility to ensure that they have to manage some birth control here. Also, some who live in rural area, will give up the treatment after awhile.

After my half day discussion with her, I am even more at heart in my work especially this project to create the awareness of being a carrier and the consequences of conceiving a child if the partner is also a carrier. However, with the advance medical technology, if you are a carrier, there is also ways to prevent having a Thalassemia kid. So, not so worrying la, just do the screening and take the necessary preventive treatment.

I thank God that I have 3 beautiful children that have no major health problem (touch wood). I must count my blessing and feel lucky that even during pregnancy there were no complication. Despite them being so hyper almost every minute at home, I am glad I don't have to spend a lot of time in the hospital. I still remember when I have to spend a few nights in the hospital for a few years when my daughter had high fever, I just couldn't sleep unless there was another person to watch her.

I just wish all be well, safe and healthy :)

1 comment:

True love said...

Hi r,

It is always in my wish and prayer that people that I know or unknown, the universe and all beings, be well, safe and happy ! I have little energy but I hope it works for all.

Same goes to u !

Subscribe Now :

Followers

My passion..my job and places I have been !

Interests

  • Ripple cards
  • Beauty Tips, Hair, Travel ideas, Healthy Food, Massage, Spa